Sunday, September 9, 2007

Catch Me, I Mean You, Up




1) Yikes! I wrote one entry in April and I haven't been back? For shame.


These last months haven't been so good to me. Major case of depression, coupled with buying a new home, and then a car accident in late July. I earned a broken foot on that one. Thankfully, my older son suffered minor injuries, so I'll take one for the team. I have been out of commission for six weeks now, so leaving my little hovel would be a genuine relief. A blessing, indeed. Surgery may be soon or not at all. Should know more when I see the doctor on Tuesday.


2) Have been preaching on a somewhat regular basis at a small, rural church north of Indianapolis. The church is seeking a new pastor, so I've been filling in here and there. The congregation has been gracious and warm. I hope that if I am ever called to serve somewhere in a more "official" capacity that I will meet people as sincere as this congregation has been. The good thing is that I'm clocking more "pulpit time"; however, the writing process is a beast. Sometimes, I chew on scripture for a few days and the sermon works itself out over time and several revisions. Other times I write one draft and then look at it a couple of hours later, change minor things, and go for it. There is no rhyme or reason to the process for me yet. Maybe someday. But for now, I pray for the holy spirit, and gut it out.


I am becoming much more comfortable "up front". However, I secretly desire to wear a robe and stole. My limited wardrobe makes me think a robe might just be easier, but also add a sense of authority to my shorter frame. Throw on a pair of heels, a bit of lipstick, and I'm good to go.


3) As I am now six weeks post-accident, I have picked up a guitar that Greg gave me a couple of years ago. I am learning notes, slowly but surely. Am only a few pages away from learning a chord.


I always wanted to play the guitar, even as a kid. I'm not sure why my desire wasn't made known to my mom and dad (and maybe it was), but I didn't get a guitar as a kid or a teenager. I was an adult when I decided I really wanted to learn to play. Plus, I love female singer/songwriters. And they all play guitar. So Greg bought me a Johnny Cash inspired black guitar. Have I mentioned how much I love Johnny Cash?


To encourage myself (and also because I can't drive anywhere to shop, I keep hitting Amazon), I bought a handful of CDs featuring women singer/songwriters. Patty Griffin, Rickie Lee Jones, Lucinda Williams. Alison Krauss, Lori McKenna, and Mavis Staples. I'm trying to turn the tv off and the stereo on. If it's the weekend, the entire family usually listens to public radio, but during the week I've been soaking up the sounds in the sun room. Sometimes I just listen, intently. Sometimes the music is just background noise to my phone conversations or my daydreaming. But mostly, the music is encouraging me to try and play that guitar, to develop a callous or two, and sing along, no matter how I sound.


4) Am happy to see the Pumpkin Spice Latte back at Starbucks. It was a red letter day when my mom drove me (after a little arm-twisting) and much to my surprise, it was back! Oh, happy day.


I have since had two. Can't wait to drink one on a day that really feels like fall. Crisp air, leaves turning, maybe I'll have a jacket on. Looking forward to pumpkins and s'mores and apples and all those other fall delicacies. Let's face it, summer has been a bit of a bust for me. Bring on Autumn!


5) Both boys have successfully started the school year. Jack hit 7th grade, a bit more confident even though attending a different school. Andrew began his pre-k year with a new teacher, Mrs. Melissa, who he seems to like. He is also anxious to read. We are working with him daily on sight words and sounding out letters and he does a pretty good job considering he is still only 4. Jack is doing pre-algebra, so his Dad looks forward to checking his work every night. For some reason, Jack doesn't trust my pre-algebra skills. What?! My skills?!? Who does this kid think he is?!!! I'll have you know I took only one math class at Ball State (and an honors class at that) and I did pass. Kid needs to cut me some slack...


6) Will be watching the news this week as the "Petraeus" report on Iraq will be presented. Praying for an end to this war. Praying for our soldiers to come home. Praying for peace.


7) Hope to start updating my reading list here. Updates soon on "A Wrinkle in Time" which I am reading with the kids and "The Wounded Healer". Hope to read the novel "Gideon" soon. Look for thoughts soon.


8) Thanks to all for prayers, meals, e-mails, and cards. Makes this house "detention" somewhat more bearable.


Promise to write more frequently. Pinky promise...

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi Mandie! I happened on your blog while searching for other people who have written about Lori McKenna, she's such an inspiration to me!!

Good luck with your guitar studies. I've been learning that there is quite a lot you can get out of just a few chords, which is really satisfying in a fairly short amount of time, and then you can keep working on getting more "fancy" if you feel like it. Little bits every day...

If you need some more inspiration for other great women musicians, stop by my blog sometime, I've got plenty of great women singer-songwriters featured there. (And many more to come!)

http://lyricalvenus.blogspot.com